Friday, September 12, 2008

C-O-F-F-E-E

I have been drinking coffee (faithfully) for 4 years and 1 month (exactly). It all started on August 13, 2004 on a flight from Germany. This "sure, why not" acceptance of the free inflight brew began my "relationship" with the bean beverage. In this 4+ years relationship I have tried many a brew and have developed a refined palette (I submit) and am not too keen on gas station or in-flight varieties...even the green mermaid is often subpar (My favorite: Caffe Artigiano or when in the DR a blend of Santo Domingo+Travesia coffee). Beyond mere recreational sipping I have also worked in the industry as a barrista (barristo?) and in wholesale (Caffe Umbria). Now, living in the Dominican Republic I have watched beans through the harvest, drying, roasting, grinding, and sipping stages.

So, I say all this to set the stage for the big event to mark my 4 year-and-one -month anniversary as a faithful coffee drinker: Coffee Fest! Yes, I get to go to Coffee Fest Seattle for a full day of sipping & sampling (and the subsequent coffee-head and coffee-stomach). Stories and photos to come but for the now I share the following song from grade 4 music class (hmmm...not sure how to convey the melody) and hope that any non-coffee drinkers might fight the myths and perceptions and warm-up to coffee (it can even go with solitude).

C-O-F-F-E-E
Coffee is not for me
It's a drink that people wake up with

That it makes them nervous is no myth
Slave to a coffee cup, they can't give coffee up

(repeat...or even sing it as a round if you like!)

Cheers.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Great tribute to my favorite drink, Darin! I am envious of your opportunity to go to a coffee festival. Do they drink coffee in Tunisia?

Iain and Cheri Lovell said...

Mrs. Kuhlen would be so pleased to see that you remembered the lyrics. Maybe I'll try that diddy on Sophie tomorrow and see how she likes it.