Thursday, December 4, 2008

Futbol







I've never really played futbol...or football for that matter.  What better place to learn than with a group of futbol savvy Dominicans and a Columbian futbol-er coach.  So, for the past couple months I have been (trying) to take to the turf and deal with the constant schooling by the local futbol-ers who - shoes or no shoes - are not only fun to watch but great to be with.  There are certainly the cries for fouls and the little ones can sometimes take a good hit (yet reamain unphased and keep on futbol'n) but the overall feel is good sportsmanship and enjoying time together on the field.  

Our leader and super-skilled futbol oficionado is Obed Penuela (TEARS staff).  Obed started the daily futbol games with a heart to meet with guys in the barrio and share - live out...play out - the gospel.  There is prayer after every game and a Saturday morning prayer/biblestudy where the guys meet together to spend time praying, singing, and learning from God's word.

It has been a really blessing to share in this way in the lives of these guys.  They have been gracious to the new un-futbol-er from Canada and let me know where to go (in a good way), why there is a corner kick and other very useful tips for the field.  Additionally, it has been a good "remedy" to the highly starchified diet that seems to take its toll on the (this)  body. 

This Sunday we get to load up and play in the stadium (a real field!) and play against another team from the city. It's pretty cool this barrio futbol crew gets to head out, play on a big field against some new faces.  As you think of this crew, remember them in prayer.  That futbol would be a place where they learn how to work together, relate well together, see care a love in these relationships, where they are encouraged and challenged, and encounter Christ - not in an abstract way - but in a way that they come to personally receive his deep deep love for them.







1 comment:

Rachel said...

I should have tried futbol'n when I lived there. I, too, fell victim to the highly starchified diet. I was looking at some pictures of my DR internship the other day, and laughing, because I have never been so fat in my life. But dang, I still dream about habichuelas y arroz.
Say hi to Obed for me. It was nice to see him on your blog. We think of him and Rosmery often.