Monday, April 13, 2009

Day at the River























On Good Friday, Obed and I trekked to the river with the  futbol-ers.  For some time we had wanted to take the crew to the river for a day of fun, sun, and yummy food (i.e., hot dogs & Kool-Aid).  So, with 60+ hotdogs, corresponding and equally processed white bread, and sugary beverage in hand(s) we made to 1.5 hour trek (really more of a  hearty walk) to the river.  Up through the hills, cross a road, up more hills, through an opening (fyi...great place for a camp..hmmm), through some more winding trails, and to the river we went.  I jokingly asked some of the guys if they were dying to which I got some a few joking "yeses"...except one little dude...he had me wondering....but we all made it.

We set up camp (i.e., dropped everything), had a brief time of sharing, and then played, played, played.  Those that rushed into line to receive hotdogs (and they did rush!) were quickly reminded that the first shall be last and hotdogs were distributed in this kingdom-like manner (i.e., the first were last...sorry guys).  While the playing, playing, playing went on I took a few breaks to catch a chapter in a book, take pictures, lounge on a sun soaked rock, move to a seat shaped rock oh-so-perfectly half-submerged in the running water, and to look to just watch.  As I watched the guys  do river-type-antics that this crew does so well, I smiled inside.  I loved to see them have fun, stuff their faces, and just enjoy God's creation with eachother.  I smiled as I thought of what God is doing in their lives and the five who were recently baptized.  I smiled as I thought of the privilege of having my life intersect with theirs.  I smiled as I thought of the picture we have in Scripture of the river of God---a place of refreshing, teeming with life, and always moving.  I smiled as I roasted my hotdog (which they graciously coached me through....I suppose they don't know we have such delicacies in Canada) and purposely charred it (for which they offered gently mockery...I thought I would just try to kill and weird stuff on the outside and really give the questionable contents  a good cookin')...and then smiled more as I muscled down the suspect meat and not-so-oven-fresh-bleached-white bun.  It was a great day filled with sun, fun, and many tired faced at the end!

It would be great if you could remember this crew in prayer--that they would continue to grow in their faith and knowledge of God's deep, deep love for them.  That their affections and attention would not be robbed by the challenges and temptations they face but that God would continue to draw them into Himself and they would be shaped by Him as young men.  On behalf of this crew I thank you for standing with them in prayer.

1 comment:

Lollie said...

Great pictures. Looks like those boys had a great time. You are still in the DR right? Have you heard of Hearing Hearts, they are missionaries to the deaf in the DR. My friend Vivian just spent 6mons there and will be going back in a few months for maybe a year. She loves it there.
Sounds like you are doing lots of work there too. Praying for you and your ministry there. If you have time give us a pray list:)