Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Coffee, Oranges & Ramona






A friend and I recently hiked up to a mountain village called la Travesia.  In a word: stunning.  Thankfully enough pistachios and other, admittedly less natural, sources of energy were packed as sustanance for the 7 km trek.  Yes, trek.  Sounds much more robust than hike.  The trek is filled wil incredible views, fresh mountain air, streams to cross, and many hills to climb...to trek up.  

There are a couple ways to get to the Travesia.  The road and the shortcut.  We wanted the shortcut.  Upon arrival we saw what we thought was a washed-out option.  It appeared that tropical storm Olga had wiped out the shortcut and in so doing tacked on some extra trekking.  That is until we met Ramona (pictured).  At first meet you could just tell that you were in good, competent hands. The hands of a seasoned trekker were found in Ramona.  Without hesitation she guided us up through the still accessible shortcut and did so with the agility and pace of a seasoned trekker.  She was amazing.  Effortlessly gliding up the mountain pausing only to see if her North American followers were still behind her (in fact, well behind her!)  Her face and demeanor testified to a life of steady hard work.  The perfect guide.  Thanks Ramona.

The other new friends I met in the Travesia were no exception.  Hard working. Hospitable. Generous. All of which fell in a remarkable steady, consistent, and seemingly uncomplex life.  This is not to suggest a life without difficulties...but...nonetheless....uncomplex.  I loved it.  I rode a horse, picked vegetables, oranges, grapefruit.  I also got to pick coffee beans and then later watch prepared beans go through the roasting process.  As I type I am enjoying a fresh cup of said coffee.  Tremendous.  At night I stared up at the biggest sky I had ever seen filled to the brim with countless stars.  I felt like I was walking in a story book.  Sights, sounds, and smells that seemed unique reserved for the pages of a story that you would want to jump into.

This weekend I am jumping back into the storybook.  I can't wait to see what awaits in the fresh pages before me.  Come back to see images and words from the continued adventure.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am jealous of that cup of coffee!!!