Thursday, January 24, 2008

To Be or Not To Be...but which one?


So if this is the question--"to be or not to be"--then I am stuck with yet another question: which to be?  I have been here in the DR for almost 2 months and I am still trying to figure it out what it means "to be".  In Spanish there are two verbs that are used to express BE-ing: estar & ser.  These two verbs have me stumped.  Always a fingers-crossed guessing game (even with the gracious coaching of those around me) as to which verb might I chose, I now believe the "to be" code has been cracked with great thanks to my friends and tag-team Spanish coaches, Jennifer and Luis.  Both Jennifer and Luis serve on the TEARS team and have graciously made time for this newbie to the DR and Spanish.  We learn, we chat, we eat.  It is a great time!  Es (ser) un buen tiempo!

To visually express my appreciation I have pictured Jen & Luis beside the ever-convenient "to be" chart.  I'll keep you posted on my Spanish learning....a.k.a. "to be" continued.

2 comments:

margot said...

D,
Hey, that is the same Spanish lesson we are working on in Calgary as our team prepares for the February team trip.

Amaris said...

Darin,

Glad the Spanish is coming along. :) Hope those details are becoming clearer...