Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rice, Beans & fermented Milk






As I oft say, "I love food."  This is especially true when the food "takes me back" to a time & place specially held in memory.  I recently had this experience with my fellow-food-loving cousin, James,  and his equally-food-savvy wife, Jessica.  They always know the best places to go for great  international eats and are great experimenters in the kitchen.

On a recent visit I had the good pleasure of trying out Kefir (pictured)...a great feremented milk drink (tastes like a Balkan style yogurt).  Perhaps this doesn't sound appetizing but I love it and it reminded me of a similar drink in North  Africa (mmmm, pairs well with Schwarma!)  After this enzyme enriched cocktail we head to El Bombazo for some great El Salvadorian food.  Finally, rice and beans!  It had been so long (a month!) since I had this great meal which, for the past year+ formed the staple of my daily diet.

This summer try out some new yummy recipes for a backyard bash or venture out to a local vendor of some international delights...then share what you enjoyed (recipes, locations, photos,...or an invite:)



No comments: